ATL Fact Sheet
Department of Aviation
6000 North Terminal Parkway
Atrium Suite 4000
Atlanta, GA 30320
Phone : 404-209-1700
Hartsfield-Jackson Atlanta International Airport
The City of Atlanta / Department of Aviation
Latitude / Longitude:
33° 38′ 12″ North / 84° 25′ 41″ West
Elevation Above Sea Level:
1,026 feet (313 meters)
Distance from Downtown Atlanta:
10 miles (16.1 kilometers)
Total Airport Area:
4,700 acres (1,902 Hectares)
- 9R-27L = 9,000 feet long (2,743 meters). Category III
- 9L-27R = 12,390 feet long (3,776 meters). Category I
- 8R-26L = 10,000 feet long (3,048 meters). Category II
- 8L-26R = 9,000 feet long (2,743 meters). Category III
- 10-28 = 9,000 feet long (2,743 meters). Category II
The terminal complex measures 156.1 acres (63.2 hectares), or 6.8 million square feet. The complex includes the domestic and international terminals building and concourses T, A, B, C, D, E and F. Within these concourses, there are a total of 207 gates comprised of 167 domestic and 40 international gates. The Airport is free of any architectural barriers to people with disabilities.
Airport People Mover:
The Airport’s underground, Automated People Mover connects all concourses with the domestic and international terminals and consists of eleven, four-car trains operating on a 3-mile loop track. Trains operate approximately every two minutes. On average, the trains carry more than 200,000 passengers per day.
Parking – Domestic Terminal:
There are more than 30,000 public parking spaces at Hartsfield-Jackson, including more than 10,000 in covered parking decks, 7,300 in Domestic North and Domestic South Economy parking lots, 1,300 in the Domestic Park-Ride Reserve lot and 7,800 in the Airport’s Domestic Park-Ride lots. Special parking spaces are also provided for disabled passengers in each lot.
Parking – International Terminal:
Parking at the international terminal is easy and convenient. Two parking facilities provide more than 3,500 spaces within minutes of the international terminal.
- International hourly: The hourly lot – just steps from check-in and arrivals – contains more than 1,100 parking spaces. The international hourly parking deck features 14 close-in parking spaces for alternative fuel vehicles and 14 parking spaces for vanpools and carpools. From Maynard H. Jackson Jr. Boulevard, follow the signs to hourly parking.
- Gold Reserve parking: Gold Reserve parking provides frequent travelers with fast, convenient, covered and guaranteed Airport parking on the lower level at the international terminal. Passengers who have spaces in Gold Reserve parking do not have to wait in line for tickets or search for open parking spaces.
- International Park-Ride: The International Park-Ride facility on Maynard H. Jackson Jr. Boulevard, just west of Loop Road, offers 2,600 parking spaces. Passengers may take a three-minute ride on a shuttle bus to the international terminal’s curbside drop-off area. The free shuttle is available 24 hours a day.
Ground Transportation – Domestic Terminal:
The Ground Transportation Center is located at the west end of the domestic terminal building and offers the following services:
- Shuttle bus services offer door-to-door and on-demand pickup service from the Airport to the Atlanta metropolitan area and bordering states, departing every 15 minutes within the metropolitan area and every 30 minutes for all other areas.
- Taxi, limo and sedan services.
- 13 rental car agencies located at the Rental Car Center, with free SkyTrain service to and from the Airport.
- The Metropolitan Atlanta Rapid Transit Authority (MARTA) provides train service to the metro Atlanta area.
- Area hotel and off-site parking shuttle buses.
Ground Transportation – International Terminal:
The international terminal features several safe, reliable ground transportation options.
Connections to hotels, downtown, convention centers, MARTA and the Airport’s Rental Car Center are conveniently located at the curb outside the main greeting area on the arrivals level. Signs inside the building will direct passengers to the ground transportation area.
Hanging signs and a color-code system will help passengers quickly identify loading and unloading zones for each ground transportation service:
- Taxis: Yellow/Zone 1
- Hotel shuttles: Green/Zone 4
- Local/regional shuttles: Green/Zone 4
- Charter buses: Blue/Zone 5
- Parking shuttles: Orange/Zone 2
- International shuttle connector: Red/Zone 3
International shuttle connector:
Because Atlanta-bound passengers cannot access secured areas of the Airport after they pick up their luggage at the International Terminal baggage claim, the Airport has established shuttle services to link passengers at the International Terminal with existing facilities.
The international shuttle connector offers direct service from the International Terminal to two locations:
- Existing facilities: A 15-minute shuttle ride connects the International Terminal with the Domestic Terminal’s ground transportation area at the west end of the building. From here, passengers can access the Domestic Terminal, parking areas and MARTA train service to downtown.
- Rental Car Center: A 15-minute shuttle ride links passengers with the Rental Car Center, which houses all rental car transaction counters and vehicles.
The international shuttle connector is a free service and operates 24 hours a day.
Rental Car Center:
In December 2009, Hartsfield-Jackson opened a convenient, state-of-the-art, 67.5-acre facility that houses all rental car company operations and vehicles. The Rental Car Center includes two four-story parking decks, more than 8,700 parking spaces and a 137,000-square-foot customer service center. The Rental Car Center features 13 rental car agencies – Advantage, Airport, Alamo, Avis, Budget, Dollar, Enterprise, E-Z, Hertz, iTravel, National, Thrifty and Payless Rent a Car companies.
Connecting customers to the Rental Car Center is the SkyTrain. In five minutes, passengers are connected to the Rental Car Center, Georgia International Convention Center, hotels and office buildings. The train operates six two-car trains, which can carry 100 passengers and their baggage.
The Metropolitan Atlanta Rapid Transit Authority (MARTA) provides train and bus service to metro Atlanta. MARTA’s Airport Station connects to Hartsfield-Jackson at the west end of the Domestic Terminal building between Domestic Terminal North and Domestic Terminal South baggage claim areas. For more information visit www.itsmarta.com.
There are 263 concession outlets throughout the Airport: 114 food and beverage locations, 90 retail and convenience outlets, three duty-free stores and 56 service outlets, including a banking center, Georgia Lottery outlets, ATMs, vending machines and spas. Concessions space covers approximately 230,000 square feet.
There are three main air cargo complexes, North, Midfield and South, a Perishables Complex and a USDA Propagated Plant Inspection Station. The total on-Airport air cargo warehouse space measures 29.8 acres(12.1 hectares) or 1.3 million square feet. There are 28 parking positions for cargo aircraft, 19 at the North complex and 9 at the South complex
Hartsfield-Jackson is the state’s largest employer, with more than 63,000 airline, ground transportation, concessionaire, security, federal government, City of Atlanta and Airport tenant employees.
ATL is the economic jewel of Georgia, generating a $34.8 billion economic impact for metro Atlanta.
- Since 1998, Hartsfield-Jackson has been the busiest airport in the world.
- Hartsfield-Jackson serves 150 U.S. destinations and more than 75 international destinations in 50 countries.
- Hartsfield-Jackson has the tallest air traffic control tower in North America (398 feet or 121 meters) and is the fourth tallest in the world.
- Hartsfield-Jackson averages 275,000 passengers a day.
- On average, there are almost 2,500 arrivals and departures daily.
- Atlanta is within a two-hour flight of 80 percent of the United States population.
Airlines Servicing Atlanta:
Delta Air Lines
KLM Royal Dutch Airlines
Lufthansa German Airlines
US Airways Express
British Airways Cargo
Cathay Pacific Airways
|China Cargo Airlines
|Korean Air Cargo
Lufthansa German Airlines
|Atlas Air Cargo
|Mountain Air Cargo